From Core to Edge: Perspective on Internet Prioritization
A discussion about the prioritization of data online, how and why prioritization is used today, and its potential use in the future. The hearing will adress sven questions:
- How is data prioritized over the Internet and private networks to ensure that the Internet works for everyone?
- Is the concern about paid prioritization actually about affiliate content? Are there other ways to address that aspect other than blocking such avenues?
- When we discuss the optimization of data transfer rate, does this necessarily mean that some data is “slowed down” to make a “fast lane”?
- What are the implications for prioritization over wireline vs. wireless broadband networks?
- How do we make sure that the rural service gap does not widen as content caching is focused on urban and suburban areas?
- What separates healthy prioritization from anti-competitive forms of prioritization?
- Where could helpful or harmful forms of prioritization exist on the network or on the edge?
Founder, High Tech Forum
President, Rysavy Research, LLC
Paul W. Schroeder
Director, Public Policy and Strategic Alliances, Aira Tech Corporation
Policy Director, Free Press
See Background Memo